Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Blacksmith's Say
10-21-2014, 05:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2014, 06:56 PM by Hunar.)
The Blacksmith's Say
Here I will compile a list of answers to a questionnaire I put together from various blacksmiths that have taken the time to answer it.

Below is the questionnaire:

1. How would you rate your knowledge of the smithing system from 1-10? 10 meaning you believe you have a complete understanding of it.
2. As a smith what parts of the smithing system have you made use of? Be as descriptive as possible (ex: I have done as much as upping the min/max values on small energy potions and some pieces of equipment)
3. Are there any parts of the smithing system you would like a better understanding of?
4. Do you remember any tutorial or message when you were accepted into the guild on how to use the various parts of the smithing system?
5. Are you aware that there’s a Blacksmith Council made up of players?
6. When was the last time you smithed anything, and why?
7. How often do you see players asking for the services of a smith on a scale of 1-5? 1 being not at all, 2 being not often at all, 3 being somewhat often, etc…
a. Why do you think players ask for the services of a smith this often?
8. Approximately when was the last time you saw a player ask for the services of a smith?
9. Do you feel that you’ve accomplished a lot as a smith?
a. What is your current blacksmith level?
10. Finally (I know, right?), what are your suggestions and thoughts on the current blacksmith system? Be as descriptive as possible, this is what really counts.

Greyman's answers
:
1. I'd have to save about a 7 or an 8.

2. I have done everything there is to at least once. This being upgrading minimum's, maximums, socketing gems, creating gear and reducing levels on equipment.

3. Nothing that I desperately need explaining expect a more in-depth explanation of how the attack/defense values are obtained.

4. I do not remember any, however this could be due to me joining the guild years upon years ago.

5. That I am.

6. A very long time ago, at least 9 months. And this was to reduce the level of a piece of equipment for another player ( A newbie )

7. Near on never, so I would say a 2.

7a. There is no major use to request things. Low levels you upgrade equipment often enough that the little bit of extra attack/defense becomes irrelevant. High level there is enough gear already made that you just visit a shop and buy what you need.

8. About 5 months ago.

9. No, not particularly as there isn't a large amount to accomplish.

9a. 17

10. I could sit here and talk for days and days as to what I would like to see done with the current system. Unique gem combinations yield bonus effects, Gems work better with certain ores, a greater degree of refining gear, larger pool of gems, upgrading similar to that seen in other games ( +10 Kraexian Lance upgrades into +11 Kraexian Lance but as a chance to be destroyed etc.) Gems slots able to be added to other gear. More then just gems that can be added into sockets (Artifacts, unique fittings, Spikes, even amulets and other jewelery to add effects/stats.) However for me to do a proper suggestion post on these would take me days to write, and even longer to be implemented.

Specman's Answers:
1. I would rate my knowledge about 5, I do know all the possibilities the Blacksmiths Guild offers. But when it comes to creating equipment/placing gems I'm a noob.
2. I've mainly upgraded min/max, lowered lvl req. a few times and tried creating some basic equipment.
3. Yes, the equipment crafting/upgrading.
4. Nope.
5. Yes.
6. Some months ago I smithed some energy potions.
7. I would say 2, not that often.
8. Probably it's not that often because there aren't that many players around.
9. I wouldn't say that I've accomplished a lot, usually I've just smithed energy potions. My current lvl is 34.
10. I would suggest to make somewhere a guide (maybe it even exists, I don't know), how to exactly smith equipment, what level you need, what the approx. temperatures are, what gems to use etc.

Karakarn/Ordeith's Answers:
1. How would you rate your knowledge of the smithing system from 1-10? 10 meaning you believe you have a complete understanding of it.
7 - the temperature and pressure information seems arbitrary and I generally have to consult a source before I have anything approaching a straight answer if asked a question about this, but otherwise I generally know what I'm about. Same with info regarding gems; I know how it works, but not all the specifics of every gem and its effect.

2. As a smith what parts of the smithing system have you made use of? Be as descriptive as possible (ex: I have done as much as upping the min/max values on small energy potions and some pieces of equipment)
I have upped the min-max on equipment and have smithed some potions. After realizing how slow smithing became, I quickly gave it up as busywork. As such, I haven't forged high-level equipment or slotted gems, personally.

3. Are there any parts of the smithing system you would like a better understanding of?
I'd like to understand a bit more about how ores work...why one is better than another, how the pressure and temperature corelate. I'd also like to understand gems a bit better.

4. Do you remember any tutorial or message when you were accepted into the guild on how to use the various parts of the smithing system?
No, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. The very basic stuff you can do as a smith is pretty obvious, and there's a book in the bookstore which explains it. This should suffice for newbies, though I daresay giving all new blacksmiths a copy of this book for free, in case they haven't read it, might be an excellent way to get them good and started.

5. Are you aware that there's a Blacksmith Council made up of players?
Yes, I'm aware, though I'm not sure what significance it has or what its honest function is.

The fact that I have to think hard about this proves a point. The only one of my characters who is a blacksmith is Karakarn, and my last smith work was well over a year ago. No one asks, and I rarely need to smith for myself.

7. How often do you see players asking for the services of a smith on a scale of 1-5? 1 being not at all, 2 being not often at all, 3 being somewhat often, etc
2 - I think I have seen half a dozen requests for the services of a smith in the last six months or so, and that's saying something considering how often I'm on the game poking my head intermittently into the chat.

It's simple. Lower-level gear is outgrown so fast that bothering a smith is pointless. What's more, I'm not sure most players know about blacksmiths, as I don't believe it's part of any tutorial or quest of any kind. They wear their gear, and only get help from a smith when they're told it's available; even then, they're often told at the same time that they shouldn't worry about it unless the gear is particularly good or their level is high.

8. Approximately when was the last time you saw a player ask for the services of a smith?
Probably two or three weeks ago, and I don't think I saw anyone take them up on it. I would have myself, but I think I was on my way out or to sleep at the time.

9. Do you feel that you've accomplished a lot as a smith?
Not at all. For one thing, there are many smiths far better than I am. For another thing, there's very little incentive, for others or for myself. An extra 3 points on something's min-max, a slightly lowered level, or (at higher levels) the creation of gear that most people find redundant at best isn't exactly what I'd call noteworthy accomplishment.

I had to physically look up my character's profile to see this. Level 9

10. Finally (I know, right?), what are your suggestions and thoughts on the current blacksmith system? Be as descriptive as possible, this is what really counts.
I have voiced my suggestions on this already, in Hunar's guild discussion thread, at least to some extent.
However, I believe that one other thing should be addressed...the two-part problem of gear and ore redundancy.
Each ore type should be different in some fashion. It's fine that one is better than another - that makes plenty of sense - but different types of metal are built differently. It would make sense, for instance, that tresdina gave tight ranges, while faine gave wider ranges with a considerably higher top end, on average.
Furthermore, there are dozens of different types of armour, helms, bracers and shields that can be made, but very little actually differentiating them. Their stats seem random and rather arbitrary, and I think this process needs streamlining.
A rough example of what I'd do to correct this follows.
Step 1: give all types of gear a base range, hopefully a unique one. For instance, let's say all twisted helms were 8-11, regardless of ore type. A mask, by contrast, might be 6-14, and a full helm might be 12-15.
Step 2: When the type of ore is factored in, add a bonus to the min and max. Iron might give a 3-3 bonus, copper a 2-2 bonus, tresdina a 4-6 bonus, faine a 4-11 bonus, etc.
Step 3: Set a reasonable level or stat limit (I prefer stats but level is workable using the game's current design model) for each piece of gear (before material is considered). For instance, let's say all looped bracers begin at level 54, or 85 dex, before material is concerned. When the material is thrown into the equation, a level range and stat requirements are added. For instance, let's say that faine will increase the levels of a bracer by 24-36, its vit requirement by 43-75 and its dex requirement by 40-100. For ease of use, this requirement can be slapped onto gear of all types at once (so all bracers, or all helms, etc). If extra attention to detail is sought, however, different things can be applied to different subtypes. For instance, a set of riwo twisted bracers might have a steeper cost attached to it than a set of riwo chain bracers; this method makes more sense, and further differentiates gear types, but it's also apt to take more time and effort to both implement and balance.
Step 4: Add in the same type of thing for gems. For every gem slotted into a piece of gear, a further requirement should be present, dependent on the gem and what sort of bonus it's giving. A tower shield with 3 jade in it should cost far more to equip than an unslotted tower shield of the same material.

Nataylia's Answers:
1. 3. I have some understanding of it.

2. I used smithing to make energy potions stronger. I also bought all of the molds for forging when the system was introduced. They're in my SDB now. I made some iron or copper equipment with them.

3. Gems. I don't know how gems work and how they enhance equipment.

4. No, I did not see a tutorial when I became a smith.

5. Yes, but I'm not aware if they do anything but accept applications.

6. I had 20 small energy potions on the forge from ~2 years ago.

7. 1

a. I don't think new or medium level players know they can get forged equipment. High level players already have what they need or can make it themselves.

8. 2008

9. The biggest accomplishment felt as a smith was being accepted as a smith. Being a smith was something I looked forward to because you had to be a high level to be a smith. For a while I was making good crowne by selling smithed energy potions in my shop but that's kind of a thing of the past. And there are better options for low level players to get good gear, like buying it in a shop or getting loaned a super powerful custom.

a. Blacksmith level 16.

10. A Guild is kind of like a union, right? And the purpose of a union is to make sure all their members are paid fairly. That sounds like the job of the blacksmith elder. And this is where the suggestion falls apart because it would require a coder. Make a posting board where players can ask for (how many) number of (Copper/Iron/Vedinar/Tresdina/Shailik/Beisoal/Fain/Genali/Yuive/Riwo/Kraexian) material (Dagger/Vest/Mace/Basic Shield/Basic Bracers/Chest Piece/Full Helm/Short Sword/Cross Bracers/Glaive/Looped Bracers/Full Mail/Chained Bracers/Banded Shield/Banded Shield/Light Helm/Cutlass/Full Guard/Horned Helm/Split Bracers/Kite Shield/Full Scale/Scale Chest/Bladed Bracers/Reinforced Shield/Heavy Helm/Mask/Face Plate/Reinforced Scale/Heavy Bracers/Reinforced Plate/Maul/Reinforced Bracers/Reinforced Mail/Lance/Gothic Helm/Large Kite Shield/Ranseur/Long Sword/Tower Shield/Twisted Helm/Twisted Shield/Banded Suit/Twisted Bracers/Great Sword/Basic Amulet) equipment with (how many) gems giving (Stength/Dexterity/Vitality/Wisdom) bonus. Blacksmiths with the appropriate equipment in their inventory would fill these requests and be rewarded with the payment the player deposited earlier. And it would be the elders job to make sure the prices for the various equipment are set fairly. This would be a way for low and medium level players to get stronger equipment than are in the shops. It would be a service blacksmiths can give to the people.

Calico's answers:
1. 8 (Assuming I can use the references to figure out what numbers to use)
2. Most of my smithing is on energy potions as a means to store it for a rainy day. Or Halloween. If I could make Krax gear, I'd do that too.
3. Not really.
4. The smithing system was new when I became one. I'm not sure anyone knew exactly how it worked
5. Yes. Sometimes they even sign on.
6. About 3 weeks ago, to drain energy.
7. 2, because relatively speaking, it's not that useful to add a little extra to the min/max. And blacksmith made equipment is plentiful (and you only need one, ever)
8. Not sure, it's been a while.
9. No, but I've sure spent a lot of energy on it! I'm almost level 60.
10. Make upgrading the min/max require ores and cost more energy, but allow for more than 3 on most pieces. If I could add 5 to the min and max, even at a fairly high cost, I would do that. I'm only going to need one piece of equipment for the rest of my days. Or, if smiths could add simple abilities to some equipment (also at a high cost), that'd be nice. Or one last possibility, make the blacksmith gear, by far the most powerful ingame equipment, break every so often (like a shovel) and require repair from the smiths.

HumpyDnD's answers:
1. I would rate it 3

2. I have done upping on energy potions and upgraded min of the gear I'm currently using.

3. I would love to see a more specific charts of what levels i need for smithing certain gear and maybe a little walkthrough of smithing in the guild.

4. No.

5. Yes.

6. The last time was when i got accepted in to the guild, and i wanted to test what can i do...Smithed a few pots and my gear. As i taked too much energy...i felt like it's a waste and left it at that.

7. 1

8. I have never seen anyone ask. I have asked myself though.

9. No.

a. 4

10. I wish blacksmiths could do more to their own gear, (add reflective spikes to shield, sharpen their weapons for more damage, enhance their armor and helms for more resistances or armor bonus).
As for now i have no interest in spending my energy on smithing, because it's VERY slow to level and i can get all my gear much easier...although i would love to own a Kraexian banded Suit with max jades...But that would take me years to get.

Danni's answers
:
1. 8
2. Min and maxing energy pots all day errday.
3. All of it.
4. There was a message?
5. Yes
6. A few months ago when I checked to see if anything changed.
7. 2
a. There's not a lot for a Smith to do, and anyone can do it for themselves at some point in time anyway so it's not like they'll ask for someone else do it. No new players to ask for stuff done.
8. A few days ago but before that I can't remember.
9. I've smithed a lot of energy potions, so maybe?
a. 46
10. Not sure there is anything that can be done at this point in time for it. There is not much to do in the game so far so there is not much need for a blacksmith guild. I would say make weapons and armor but the molds already (kinda) do that and the invention hut fulfills that purpose anyway. Items don't need repair and I wouldn't add a potentially negative thing like that into the game just to make Blacksmithing relevent. So my opinion would be the rethink the whole guild and focus on the improvement part of the guild, I have a weapon now how can I make it better?

A quick example would be, your weapon starts with a grade. Grades can be anything but for this example let's say the grades are, poor, good, excellent, epic and legendary.

The system would primarily be based around trying to upgrade equipment. The higher the grade that you want to upgrade to the higher the blacksmith level needed. And to add everyone's favourite - RNG , make it so that the higher the grade the higher chance your weapon has of breaking. That makes the reward all the better if you get the max grade. More RNG? Yes please, the stats your item gains are random. Also, I wouldn't mind items being needed to upgrade them the higher you want to upgrade, like a rare drop or a rare shop item or something.

So let's say you have a poor grade sword and want to upgrade it. You won't need a blacksmith of a very high level because you only want to go from poor to good and the chances of it breaking is pretty low. The energy needed by the blacksmith to do this shouldn't be too high either as it's a poor sword and 2ez for them.

Now another players comes along with an epic sword. They need to find the highest level blacksmith they can to decrease the chances of their epic weapon from being destroyed. They got a rare drop from a monsters somewhere in the world that is needed to upgrade it. The blacksmith will need a lot of energy for this one as this is the hardest thing they've ever had to do and the pressure is real.

Something like that, obviously that is just and example and if it was actually going to happen I would flesh it out a lot more. Yes, it has been done in other games but it has been done sucessfully.

Barbarossa's answers
:
1. About a 5 or 6.

2. All of it. I've increased min/max of items, made equipment, and added gems.

3. I'd like to have a better understanding of what level I'm able to add what gems.

4. No, I learned most of what i know from the smithing book, Bruce, and looking on different clan page info.

5. Yes, I read it in the forums and on the clan page.

6. A few months ago for a new player. I smith some weapons for them.

7. Around a 2 but I'm not in the chat rooms often.

8. 2 weeks ago or so but again, I'm not often in chat rooms.

9. Yes, I've been able to increase energy potions and make pretty decent equipment for mid-level players. I hope to increase my smithing level to make high end equipment some day.

10. I think there needs to be more information. When you join the clan it should give you either a tutorial like you said or have a chart that shows at what level each piece of equipment can be made with each ore. There should also be a chart for adding gems. It would also be nice to have the ability to withdraw multiple pieces of an item from the forge instead of one or all items.

Doerr's answers
:

1. 7

2. I believe that I have only utilized the smithing system to upgrade the min/max of potions/equipment.

3. I would like to have a better understanding of how forging works -- particularly gems.

4. I don't recall receiving any tutorial.

5. I am aware that there is a Blacksmith Council, however, I always assumed it was quite inactive.

6. I haven't smithed anything in years. I generally don't have a need to smith anything in particular.

7. 2. I rarely see people asking for something to be smithed. However, most clans do offer free smithing to members.

7. A) I think that players rarely ask for something to be smithed because equipment is already smithed when they purchase it, they ask members of their clans in private, or the +3 upgrade isn't enough to make a difference so they just don't care to have something smithed.

8. A month ago.

9. I don't feel that I have accomplished a lot as a smith.

9. A) 18, I believe.

10. I would suggest upping the number of times equipment can be smithed. Three additional points to min/max isn't much and really doesn't make a difference for most players training in most areas. I would say that the min/max for upgrading potions is fine where it is at. I think it would also be great for a tutorial for new smiths, as well as a guideline for smiths new to forging equipment and using ore/gems.

Monday's answers
:

1. - 10
2. - Smithed potions and equipment - created equipment and slotted gems to them
3. - Would really have liked a list of what opened up (ores) at each level instead of just having to try everything at each level.
4. - There was NOTHING to explain any of it when I began as a smith
5. - Yes, I know there is supposed to be but have rarely seen one in action
6. - Yesterday. Been dropping kraexian equipment off here and there as a Halloween treat for people to find
7. - 2 since there is no way to be more precise and say 1.25 (it is a rare occurrence but not unheard of.)
8. - About 2 months ago a player wanted a buffed piece of equipment to set a custom to.
9. - YES!!!
9b. - 141
10. - A good tutorial to explain what the parts do and the levels to strive for (just having to guess tends to discourage many lower level players. many higher level players too (aka me)). Maybe not have some of the higher equipment so far out of reach. At level 141 there are still four armors and the amulet I can't do in kraexian. Everything else FINALLY opened but even this last level (from 140 to 141) didn't open anything up. As long as it takes to get there with the low experience given per smithing it is a massive obstacle to getting more people to stay with it long enough to do more than smith a few potions now and then. Maybe give a little more experience and also maybe lessen the energy requirements for beginners (maybe half as much as now even if you set it to take longer to get to 1 energy per smithing)

Delta18's answers
:

I have only used the features to slot gems and upgrade equipment

I would like to get a better understanding of how different equipment is made.

Yes, very vaguely though.

Yes

7. How often do you see players asking for the services of a smith on a scale of 1-5? 1 being not at all, 2 being not often at all, 3 being somewhat often, etc…

New players don't know about the ability to smith since they don't see other people talking about it.

two months.

not really.

I would like to have more ability to customize the equipment available through smithing.

pinguinex's answers
:

1. 10
2. smithing equipment, potions (min/max, level is a waste) crafting equipment.
3. no
4. no, but i was on staff at the moment most things were added to smithing so i got a good understanding then.
5. yes, but what's the point.
6. oh i remember it well, it must have been the summer of 1985 when i... no i dont remember, ages ago.
7. 1
7a. what's the point?
8. before chests stuck around.
9. que?
9a. probably higher than 10.
10. Smithing system is probably fine. The real issue is with the stat and xp gain which has gotten too easy.
why spend 15 energy on boosting min/max thrice if that same energy gets you more by fighting. (crimsons, eggs, exp, crowne, levels)

Smithing would entertain a new player a week or two, max.

Richiek's answers
:

1. How would you rate your knowledge of the smithing system from 1-10? 10 meaning you believe you have a complete understanding of it. 5

2. As a smith what parts of the smithing system have you made use of? Be as descriptive as possible (ex: I have done as much as upping the min/max values on small energy potions and some pieces of equipment)Mostly smithed weapons to sell in the early days or high level wepaons to set cusotms to.

3. Are there any parts of the smithing system you would like a better understanding of? Not really as it is a small part of my game.

4. Do you remember any tutorial or message when you were accepted into the guild on how to use the various parts of the smithing system? Can't remember

5. Are you aware that there’s a Blacksmith Council made up of players? Yes

6. When was the last time you smithed anything, and why? Couple of years , wanted to raise min/max

7. How often do you see players asking for the services of a smith on a scale of 1-5? 1 being not at all, 2 being not often at all, 3 being somewhat often, etc… 1

a. Why do you think players ask for the services of a smith this often? Low level needing a bonus in combat normally.

8. Approximately when was the last time you saw a player ask for the services of a smith? A few years but then i am not on when many other players are.

9. Do you feel that you’ve accomplished a lot as a smith? No as I play more as a general level up as oppossed to working on one small area.

a. What is your current blacksmith level? Level 8

Hope that helps mate, Ive havnt smithed in along time but remember it when it came in all those years ago.

Kbo's answers
:

1) 5
2) Increasing potion stats (+1 etc), and increasing equipment/weapon stats (+1 etc).
3) Not got round to smithing new equipment yet, so looking to expand to that.
4) It was many years ago; quite possibly, but forging wasn't around when I joined.
5) Yes, always.
6) Last night, just to use up some energy. Fighting pumpkins can take too long.
7) a: 2
7) b: Most people who are active are already blacksmiths
8) At least 4 years ago.
9) Yes, but smithing for personal goals.
a) 65
10) I'm quite happy with it... Although the previous system did allow me to mass-smith, the current one is much better organised.

boma's answers
:

1. Probably a five, since i barely dabbled in it. but have a basic understanding of its concepts.

2. Mostly min/maxing, i tried to get into the equipment making. But the system and information for it to me is convoluted and kinda hard to have fun with.

3. The equipment making.

4. I sadly do not, its been a few years.

5. I am, but the only thing i know is the Elder is Danni.

6. Uhm, good question. Probably a year back since i havent been playing much due to work reason.

7. I dont really think im qualified to answer this due to my inactivity. But a suggestion i made way back in the day was to make a black smith chat that is for the public to ask for the help of the blacksmiths.

8. A few years back.

9. Sadly, only 12. As much as ive been looking forward to being a blacksmith way back in the level 30 days. the system is too ehh and weird for me to immerse my self into and kind all over the place with no direction for it. (sorry for this comparison but its the best i can think of) But, like in runescape i spent hours and days smithing since it was fun, had a path, along with having some freedom and direction.

10. A more clear and concise system that has somewhat of a roadmap of what to to and maybe a better tutorial. The system is a little dodgy but most of all has no clear path or idea what to do on your own. Especially for me who prefers to be a indipendant play and try to so something on my own. Maybe a book on what to do or a skill system to outline what to do. i really do like the temprature system, but it is frustrating when you spend hours at to no avail or idea what else to do.

negaclank's answers
:

1. 1,
2. Upping the energy potions,
3. What the gems did if I did get into it
4. No
5. Yes
6. 7-8 months ago for the energy potions
7. 1
7a. Not sure
8. 6-7 months ago
9. Nope
10. It can be a little more descriptive on how to use everything when u first start out,

Vampitch's answers
:
1. probably about 7
2. I've upped the min/max values on every item I have, including potions, berries and equipment. I probably created one or two pieces of equipment and added one or two gems.
3. Not necessarily. I remember there were some sheets on the requirements for creating equipment and info on bonuses for instance, I don't know if that is still around, maybe it goes against the whole point of finding stuff out for yourself but I think that information should be accessible.
4. I don't think so, no.
5. Yes
6. Right now actually, to max out some potions. But before that probably a couple of months ago, same reason.
7. 2
a. Well I'm not very active anymore and I rarely see any player interaction.
8. Maybe a year ago.
9. I definitely enjoy being a blacksmith but I don't necessarily think I've accomplished a lot.
a. 46
10. I see the Blacksmith system as a part of the gameplay, I'm not a very social player, especially now. So using the blacksmith is something I like to do on my own and in my own time, sort of like a quest maybe. I appreciate that you don't get kicked out for being inactive for a while (I mean around a couple of months). Let me get back to you on this if I have important suggestions, because of this message I've logged in to the devforums to see how everything's going, though the parts I can see haven't been active for a while now. I don't have any pressing suggestions at this time.

Awkeil's answers
:
6-7

Large amounts of smithing potions and a very small amount of making low tier armour.

Making weapons / gear

Not really.

I knew there was a council but I did not/do not think it is active whatsoever.

As the halloween event started. About 200 energy potions, so I could get my level up and help Karakarn with the Halloween quest.

7. How often do you see players asking for the services of a smith on a scale of 1-5?
1 being not at all, 2 being not often at all, 3 being somewhat often, etc… 2-3

Mostly smithing does nothing much to the gear, only potions when you have spare energy are really smithed and anything like the creation of good gear requires (hundreds of?) millions of energy to get to the level to make said gear.

Beginning of the year, though I have offered several times.

It’s a fairly minimalistic roll, putting 10’s if not 100’s of thousands of energy to get to level 29 is pretty grindy and makes the player feel they have done little.

- Create a system to mass smith certain potions. i.e. choose 10 small energy potions to smith for two max and 1 min.
- Modify the experience, at level 50 I can get a level in mining easily with a bar of experience, whilst in smithing its barely possible to do anything near that at level 29.
- Make a dedicated mini-forum inside the blacksmith guild in which players can post perfect rates for making weapons/armor, as well as levels for making specific items and setting gems or just generally talk about smithing.

catlyke's answers
:
1. Probably a 7. I know how it works with basic weapons and armor, but so many new things have been added to the game related to magic and the west of Cajar that I am not familiar with how smithing works with them, if it's any different than before.

2. I've worked on weapons, armor, and potions but haven't gotten into anything beyond that. I'm past the point of needing it on my own weapons and armor and I don't use potions that often, but all I would do is tweak min-max levels.

3. If the system is different with magic as far as the ingredients go, then a FAQ would be great.

4. Honestly it's been so long that I don't remember, but I also don't remember needing to ask anyone in Tavern about it, so I would bet that it was pretty self explanatory at the time.

5. I think so? There's a chat, I believe, so it would follow.

6. October; I picked up some armor pieces while I was doing Halloween things and smithed them before donating to my clan armory.

7. When I used to spend time in Tavern, it was maybe a 2 or 3. New players didn't really have to ask because everyone was very kind with offering their services.

a. When you're still a low enough level that every little stat point matters, then you need the help. It's been a long time for me, but I do remember striving to get that next weapon and needing those potions. As I mentioned, though, newer players don't really need to ask. If they are polite in Tavern then everyone immediately offers them weapons, armor, potions, smithing. It's always been a great thing about this game, and it propagates because those players usually go on to help others.

8. I don't remember, it's been a long time since I spent much time in Tavern. Probably years, I'm afraid.

9. The amount that you can do is limited, so no in that regard, but you can take a buttload of basic things from your clan armory and tweak them to be more beneficial to lower level players to whom those small differences loom large, so yes in that regard.
a. 17, Almost to 18. I feel terrible that I had to look it up but I go through phases where for a while I train, then for a while I smith, then mine, then back to training, etc.

10. Honestly I don't know what to offer here. Random chance based on dex that you'll smith double the points you were trying for? Then again that might mess something up if you over-smith it somehow. I unfortunately have nothing to offer here.

Chizxa's answers
:

1. Probably around a 9.5, unless things have changed heaps since
2. Everything. except make kraexian ammys....
3. How the the stupid values affect the equipment...
4. The smithing system was different when i joined so...
5. Yes i am!
6. Months to a year ago. Coz someone asked i guess?
7. 1, simply coz i'm not on
a. Really couldn't comment, sorry
8. See above
9. Yes
a. 142
10. Limitations being reduced would be nice, a better understanding on the effects of the temp/stress values (are the variants really needed? i get the need for different stats, but does it need to be that extensive? ) better system for mass crafting

Ihlen's Answers:
1. 6
2. Upping min, max on potions and equipment, lowering level on equipment, making equipment from various ores, adding gems to made equipment.
3. item creation, temps and pressures, what gems do.
4. No, but was a long time ago to remember.
5. I knew there was a council at some point, kind of surprised to know it still exists.
6. Today, to burn energy and smith potions I've collected.
7. 2-not often at all
8. Several months ago... maybe 5 or 6?
9. I guess smithing doesn't make me feel accomplished.
10. Make it less tedious, more useful to the game, more varied in what can be done (30 different styles of equipment that all do the same thing don't count). New items (forge something that already exists, but gets used up, maybe? Like vials or flasks for potions? not that there are enough hounzalids to use them). Make the equipment challenging enough to make to be valuable, instead of something I end up with 100 of in my inventory and can't even give away... and at the same time, competitive to what may actually be needed in game. Kind of neat if people start asking for the services of a good smith so they can get top-notch equipment (possible this exists at Kraexian level, but it'll be a few years before I could tell you). Possibility of improving pre-existing equipment by combining items such as 2 tribal war axes(reduces item load on game, too, could maybe require purchase of more expensive coal to make, or something, as a crowne sink). Not so much clicking, please, to smith up stuff on forge (if I've got 413 small energy potions on forge, I have to click "small energy potion" 413 times). That's all, off the top of my head.
[Image: untitled-2.jpg]