Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fame/Followers - How to make them effective again.
09-22-2014, 12:41 PM,
Fame/Followers - How to make them effective again.
I stumbled upon this article when I was on Klout earlier today and I thought It would be an interesting share.

http://business.blog.klout.com/2014/09/earned-paid-media-need-drive-sales/

I have spoken with a staff member about certain changes to the Fame and Follower system that is currently in use and I wanted to go over some points that I brought up during that conversation.

Fame: There are a few reasons why I think that the fame system should be revamped but the main reason is that social media has taken over the world!

Basically to change the Fame system here is what I propose. Making a new short and eye catching "link" to the game. Essentially one that is much easier to share and will show a little content in the share on social media websites.

Then change the Fame to revolve around "Shares", "Tweets", "Pins", Etc. Use Google+, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter to allow members to share for fame.

I believe this will be a better way to get people to view the site and should (if it works the way I intend) allow pRPG players to target certain networks that they are a part of. For example, specific facebook groups or using @ tags and # tags on twitter.

Followers: This can still reward a (smaller) amount of fame, but not nearly 100. I think the follower program should be almost entirely separate, the more followers you get, the higher the rewards can be and if the program works correctly the shares can link directly to a page that will allow us to record who directed them there. (I can't imagine this would be a huge change from the current system)

I think a very important thing in directing people to the site is the first impression that is made. We need to show people the new layout, the old layout, and the opportunity to change color schemes. Show them that there is mining, digging, battles, roleplaying! This should all be in a way that doesn't take much time, and isn't all in pictures or text, but both. Perhaps a video?! It would be interesting to see someone illustrate a video and narrate it... maybe 20 seconds, low-def nothing fancy.

I went off on a tangent of course, brainstorming strikes again.

Please respond with ideas and thoughts.
Garet

09-22-2014, 12:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-22-2014, 12:49 PM by delta18.)
RE: Fame/Followers - How to make them effective again.
I like this a lot. It brings up a lot of good points and I do agree some "Share" buttons to different social media sites.

I also agree that fame shouldn't involve followers and that 100 phan points should be enough draw to try and invite people to join the game.

I would eventually like to see the fame system changed along with a nice hard reset to everyone's fame since it has changed a few times and the top 10 fame list isn't really relevant in its current state.

The one thing I am confused about is that you say you would like the fame system to revolve around social media, but as far as I can tell so far it already does rely on members sharing their fame link on social media
09-22-2014, 01:10 PM,
(09-22-2014, 12:46 PM)delta18 Wrote: The one thing I am confused about is that you say you would like the fame system to revolve around social media, but as far as I can tell so far it already does rely on members sharing their fame link on social media

Ah, my dear Delta! Thanks for the reply!

Here is what I mean - the current system revolves around a link to (in my honest opinion) and ugly page. I mean no offense so anyone who designed this, but I don't think it really does the game justice. I want to be able to go to "Fame" and click a "Share" button.

There would be four or five buttons depending on how many social media sites we were able to implement and all you have to do is log into those sites after you click the button and BANG +1 fame and a nice neat picture on your wall or news feed about why everyone in the world should join up and play.

MAYBE in the future we could have different types of links to post different pictures. (Therefore being able to target different social groups. For example, we could advertise the role playing aspect more on a hardcore text based roleplaying fan page. Or advertise the mining, digging, crafting aspect of the game on a Minecraft fan page.)

Again, the first thing to do would be to find a way to implement the social media sites into the game as much as possible and allow fame to be gained in that manner.

My initial idea is +1 Fame for facebook and twitter shares, available once a day or every other. And +2 for other social medias available once a week. I don't think we want to encourage spamming on these networks (as that turns many people off) But I think being able to share on different pages would be useful.

And then the more people that a member gets to join (by utilizing his social networks) then he can gain followers and climb that latter as well.
Garet

09-22-2014, 06:26 PM,
So you're thinking more a fame system based on how many times people share a link and not how many times people click on it?

I think it would be nice to have the main page changed to be something cleaner like the mobile home page even though.
09-24-2014, 01:26 AM,
I really like the idea of involving all the big social webpages !!
Get the word out there!

And the main page could really be something like on the mobile version, simple but inviting.