Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet equipment
04-02-2014, 01:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014, 09:48 PM by Grey_man.)
Pet equipment
Pet Equipment

The point: The reason for this is to help give pets more meaning, instead of a pure crowne sink of endlessly feeding to keep happy. This will help boost pets stats, as well as give them little side abilities.

Segregate pets into groups.

Beast
-Wolf
Winged
Falcon, Bat, Owl
Critter
-Bunny, Zhot
Special*
-Ghost

Items

All Offensive and Defencsive items listed are blacksmith made, and require the following: Ore (Iron, copper etc.) Leather (if applicable) a Mold (Which has a 25% chance to break per item made). All Stats are variable, depending on the ore used For example, A copper talon could have a max of 5-12 While a Kraexxian one could have 55-75 attack.

These can also be expanded on further, such as extra items, altered stats etc.

Offensive:

Ore Claws/Talons.
Beast and Winged
Level Requirement: 20-100
Attack: 20-75
Chance with each attack to pickpocket any drop items from the opponent, 15% chance to roll the item drop chance to obtain

Ore Fangs
Beast and Critter
Level Requirement:20-100
Attack: 25-90
Chance to suck blood from the opponent healing the pet for 15% of damage dealt by the pet.

Ore Shoulder spikes
Critter and Beast
Attack: 15-55
Chance to Knock your opponent down preventing them from attacking that turn. Provided the pet deals damage that attack

Bladed Wing covers
Winged
Level Requirements: 20-100
Attack: 17-80
A chance to cut your opponent with a serious wound, leaving them to bleed 0.5% of they hp per turn for 4 turns

Defensive:

Ore chest armor
Beast and Critter
Defense: 10-65
Reduces the damage taken by 10%

Leather Body Armor
Critter and Winged
Defense: 5-50
Reduces damage taken by 5%

Leather Face shield
Winged and critter
Defense: 2-25

Ore Face Guard
Beast and Winged
Defense: 5-35

Utility:

These provide the pet with no stats, however they give the pet useful little abilities and bonus'.
Halloween pets have a higher space count as they are rares, and as such should have a better then standard rate
Wolf : 4 spaces
Falcon: 2 spaces
Bunny: 1 space
Zhot: 3 spaces
Ghost: 2 space
Owl: 3 spaces
Bat: 3 spaces

Small/Average/Heavy Backpack
2/3/4 accessory spaces
Level Requirement: 50-75/75-100/100-125
Allows the owner to store 150/250/500 items on the pet, However each time the pet dies there is a 25% chance a single random item is destroyed

Small/Medium/Large crowne bags
1/2/4 Accessory spaces
Level Requirement: 50-75/75-100/100-125
Allows the owner to send his pet to transfer money to another using his pet while in the field. 50/100/250k depending on the size of the bag. 50% chance for 5% of the amount transferred to be lost per transfer. Pet is also unavailable for 30 Minutes upon use

Smelling Salts
Last 24 Hours upon equipping, removing the salt will remove the effects, Does not work if the pet is not alive, They are worn around the pets neck.
Bought relatively cheap (1-5k each)
1 Accessory Space each (unless otherwise stated)
Level Requirement: 25-125
Drawing salts: These salts draw opponents to you, causing your rate of encounters to increase by 10% per salt, but decreases the EXP yield by 2.5%

Repelling salts: Decreases your encounter rate by 10% due to the repulsing smell of these salts, but increases the exp yield by 2.5%

Detecting Salts: Increases your encounters by 10% however opponents will now 50% of the time, no longer ambush you (If a battle would be ambush typically, it will now have a 50% chance to not be)

Sensing Salts: Increases the Drop rates of items on Monsters by 10% (If an items drop rate was 10% it would now be 11% should 1 salt be equipped)

Learning Salts: Increases the Exp Yield by 5% from all opponents per salt (capped 2 salts)

Scavenging Salt: Increases the Crowne yield from opponents by 10% from all opponents per salt. (Capped 2 salts)

Intimidating Salt (2 spaces): Increases the encounter rate of "boss**" monsters by 10% of their current encounter rate (If its 10% its now 11%), But decreases non-boss encounters by 5%

Observant Salt (2 Spaces): Causes your pet to passively gain 1/4 of the monsters experience, regardless of the amount of damage it deals. Does not take away from the total experience gain though.

Repugnant Salt: Causes your pet to become attacked 40% less often then usual.

* These pets can use all equipment for one reason or another. Ghost for example can alter its form to fit all of them.
** Boss monsters include monsters such as the Giant Worm of Despair, Soul Hunters, Graven Images, Candleman, Shadow Demon etc.
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM,
RE: Pet equipment
it would be nice if they also had a salt that healed hp and mp
04-02-2014, 12:06 PM,
Well, this topic has been brought up an endless number of times so it must be something players really want to see implemented. I think you did a thorough job at coming up with fair stats/abilities for the equipment. The smelling salts are a very cool concept--I don't think they've been suggested before, but I could be wrong.

I think all is good, however, I don't think the backpack or crowne bags will ever get used. For the backpack, pets frequently die and the 1/4 chance of losing an item isn't very pleasing. As for the crowne bag, I just don't see anyone risking some of their crowne, especially for larger purchases, when it only takes a few seconds to walk back to Cajar, use a coronet, use an aura or use a town portal.

Other than that, this is a great idea. Wink
04-02-2014, 12:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM by Grey_man.)
(04-02-2014, 12:06 PM)LordDoerr Wrote: Well, this topic has been brought up an endless number of times so it must be something players really want to see implemented. I think you did a thorough job at coming up with fair stats/abilities for the equipment. The smelling salts are a very cool concept--I don't think they've been suggested before, but I could be wrong.

I think all is good, however, I don't think the backpack or crowne bags will ever get used. For the backpack, pets frequently die and the 1/4 chance of losing an item isn't very pleasing. As for the crowne bag, I just don't see anyone risking some of their crowne, especially for larger purchases, when it only takes a few seconds to walk back to Cajar, use a coronet, use an aura or use a town portal.

Other than that, this is a great idea. Wink

Firstly this is me thinking further ahead with the backpacks for when a hard inventory limit is enforced. 1/4 chance of a random item being lost upon the pets death isnt all that bad just load the backpack up with potions or things you want to hold onto but can afford to lose or even potential for usefulness for when your grinding for item drops put all those ingredients you find along the way in them. It also encourages you to, well you know not let your pet die. Crowne bags have a max of 250k transfer if you use the largest bag, so while transfering you could lose 12.5k crowne, or you could send the full 250k and avoid the bank fee Big Grin its more for people out in areas like castle and tos where its a pain to get back to town.

Also ive never seen the salts idea brought up just a fyi
04-03-2014, 09:30 PM,
I completely agree with Greyman, I don't like the backpack or the crowne pouch.

The smelling salts have cool effects, but they don't seem to have entirely logical effects. I don't see how it makes sense to have small monsters avoid you if your little bunny has smelling salts. Perhaps war paint for the pet would make more sense for all of the different effects.
04-03-2014, 10:32 PM,
(04-03-2014, 09:30 PM)delta18 Wrote: I completely agree with Greyman, I don't like the backpack or the crowne pouch.

The smelling salts have cool effects, but they don't seem to have entirely logical effects. I don't see how it makes sense to have small monsters avoid you if your little bunny has smelling salts. Perhaps war paint for the pet would make more sense for all of the different effects.

Smelling salts would release an aroma, sort of like powerful pheromones, Now, Say you had a strong sense of smell, and were something little like a Busy Squirrel, If you smell an aroma of a strong beast, you would try to steer clear of it wouldn't you?
04-03-2014, 10:46 PM,
(04-03-2014, 10:32 PM)Grey_man Wrote: Smelling salts would release an aroma, sort of like powerful pheromones, Now, Say you had a strong sense of smell, and were something little like a Busy Squirrel, If you smell an aroma of a strong beast, you would try to steer clear of it wouldn't you?

I get that, but that would be if they are AXE scents. Aromatherapy is generally a neurological change that lasts for a short period of time, right?

Not to mention there is the misconception that could be made that the pets were using the smelling salts as a drug, which would be against the ToS.
04-03-2014, 11:07 PM,
This isnt Aromatherapy, This is burning/doing something with the salts with the scent of a strong beast to ward away weak opponents. Aromas can stick around as long as the salts are around, So the effects would remain.

True that is a possible misconception, But the same could be said of eggs, which could be misconstrued as performance enhancers
04-03-2014, 11:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014, 11:23 PM by delta18.)
The comparison is not the same with eggs. Eggs are a food item and when playing a fantasy game it is not uncommon to see food items with effects that are beyond the capacity of their real life counterparts. Although the misconception could be made with eggs, smelling salts can be used as drugs and I don't know about other people but the first thing I went to was aromatherapy since Drugs are not allowed in PRPG. After reading the list of proposed effects, I was completely confused on how such an item would give these effects through aromatherapy. Now, I know that there are forms of salt that can produce colored flames when burned which is cool and magical, but the fumes of smelling salts are sometimes toxic, do not smell good, and can be used as a mind altering substance.

I would consider changing the name or making the intentions of using the item clearer.
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014, 11:33 PM by Grey_man.)
Ah, but as you said this is a Fantasy game, All things a plausible, like you said with the eggs, it can also be applied to the , Also bear in mind that the salts will have a description, Including the style of aroma they give off too.

I had thought of calling them incense, those sticks that you burn to produce the aroma. However Im unsure that would be quite as expansive, As with salts you could make it possible to craft and be logical, incense would be a little harder to make a logical production of it
04-03-2014, 11:37 PM,
Even with a fantasy game. It wouldn't be a good idea to invite confusion.

I'm just giving my personal opinion that I think you should be open to the idea of changing it, especially if you want to get it put into the game.
04-03-2014, 11:41 PM,
As I said, The salts would have a through description, explaining that they emit an aroma that alter ones ability to do certain things, learn, Find items, etc. or that they emit the aroma of a dying creature to luring in opponents
04-04-2014, 12:24 PM,
Hmmm ... yeah, after thinking about it a bit and doing some research on them, I'm not sure I like the concept of pets using smelling salts. I think their abilities are great though. I think they just need a name change.

It would be cool if we could think of something that could be attached to a pet's collar? Gems/stones are way overused, so it would have to be something different.
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM,
Naming things was never a strong point of mine. I personally don't see an issue with the salts idea though, the drug confusion could be as there is no drug here that even references salts here where Im from and even mended by a decent Description of how it works (Produces an aura of aroma sort thing), And I don't see why it wouldnt make sense, The pet's owner clips them onto its collar, and they emit the aroma from there. But if a Name change is called for, it could be done.
04-04-2014, 06:54 PM,
I don't see how they are smelling salts at that point. How about soapstones and you bathe your pet in them if you want them to be scented. That is also something that is good to do for your pets so it makes sense on all the levels I can think of.
Another idea would just be to call them auras that you can "cast" on your pet.

I think it will be a huge task to try and make calling them "smelling salts" and also have it clear to everyone how they are used. Even if you did, you would get people who try to joke in the tavern about using them as drugs and I would really just prefer if we could come up with another name for it.

I'm not trying to tell you that I don't like the idea, after a name change I think that it would be a fantastic idea.
04-08-2014, 03:28 PM,
I like the general idea of this, but I would honestly rather see pets become more of a vanity thing. The game is already rather easy, except at very specific times.
I say, let regular pets as we know them be nothing more than an RP/status symbol, and let certain classes have access to functionally useful pets...for instance, Heros have their horses, the King's Hunter might have a falcon or a hawk.
04-08-2014, 03:53 PM,
That's the thing though, Some people love having their pets and having the able to fight. If they became nothing more then a "Look at him, he is so pretty isn't he" thing, I think it would honestly do more harm then good. Based on the Temple of Shadows, the areas to come that are beyond that, are going to be extremely difficult, even for some of us old players. The extra set of hands could do some good. Also Its not so much giving the pets more stats, its giving them a utility, a reason to keep them alive and healthy
04-08-2014, 04:43 PM,
Well, if areas are harder/more complex, wouldn't class abilities, magic/potions and the like be able to get you through? If not, then I think there's an issue there. I feel a bit as if you're trying to get pets to fill the gap between class abilities and players.
If you do what you're suggesting - and it really isn't a bad idea, I want to restate that - then you're going to have an uber player alongside a more uber pet. You'll be able to stomp the game flat, unless its difficulty is ramped up across the board. That may have to be done at higher levels anyway, but still.

I'm still of the opinion that pets should be more of a vanity thing than anything else. They're not exactly the backbone of PRPG today; if you told everyone tomorrow that all existing wolves, falcons, bunnies and the like were going to be vanity pieces, I daresay you wouldn't drive off three-quarters of the player base...no more than you would if you removed the avatars from the Halloween gear, let's say. It might annoy a few, but on the whole it wouldn't change, break or otherwise impact the game too hugely. Certain class lines would do particularly well with pets, so I say let that amount of customization go more to them than to everyone.
04-08-2014, 11:02 PM,
My personal opinion is that pets should remain as a combat ally , Who is to dictate who can and cant use them for that means. I wouldn't be happy if I was told that my bat would become useless tomorrow, Id actually be quite upset at the fact. However if I was told they would be made to actually have some use, and be a little easier to level up, Then Id run off to revive him, get him fed and go out and train him. And i don't see it as a massive game breaker. To get him close to being able to stand in the castle, You'd have to get them to at least level 400. That would give you 1200 ap, so 400 attack/defense and 800 hp, and even then he would still get owned and likely not deal much damage. If your lucky at best, 475 attack and defense, and that's with this equipment.
04-08-2014, 11:18 PM,
But a lot of your suggestions give the pet little boosts that do stuff like increasing encounter rate, increasing yields and such. That's neat, but why are we using pets to do this when our own gear, or class abilities, or artifacts, or totems (see my other thread on totems) could do that?
I'm not saying no one would be upset if pets became vanity items and only certain classes could use their familiars. I'm saying it wouldn't crush the game, and with the very little that's so far gone into pets (to my knowledge at least), it might be better to scrap them generally, start from scratch with specific classes and then go elsewhere. But that's my opinion, it's not fact and it's not meant to step on your good ideas here.
11-08-2014, 12:14 AM,
One further thing I will say though:
Let's abolish level limits on gear, at least where it makes sense. For pets, it makes sense. Stat limits, sure, but not level limits.

My stance regarding uber pets still stands. These are some really neat abilities, but I'd rather see many or most of these somehow sublimated into class abilities than pets. I mean, if pets get all this stuff, then we have to work even harder and raise the bar for class abilities, and trust me...that's going to be hard enough as is.