Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traps and level requirements
05-20-2009, 02:29 AM,
Traps and level requirements
I tried setting a trap today after triggering one earlier.

As it turns out, traps have a level requirement to set them.  Normally I'm only joking around when I moan about level requirements, but the fact that I can suffer from these without getting back at those who've set them on me is totally unfair and needs addressing.

I don't care if i can't use them, but if thats the case, you shouldn't be able to target someone underneath the minimum level requirement.
05-20-2009, 04:13 AM,
Re: Traps and level requirements
Yeah, that does seem a bit unfair.

Maybe a Strength requirement would be more sensible. (If you're not strong enough to open the trap, how can you set it?)
05-20-2009, 07:40 AM,
i agree it sound bit unfair instead of focus on levels to set the trap you should set a strength ( like the chicken said) and also wisdom and .  you need to be smart enough to be able to set it proper. if you really want to go the distance you should only set traps in the area you can battle in. i mean if you can;t fight in the cattle there no point of you trying to set a trap in there.
05-20-2009, 08:53 AM,
I disagree. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but you chose not to level.

Still, a barrier should be erected between a level 300 trapping a level 1 or 5.
05-20-2009, 10:05 AM,
that a very valid point for those that DON'T level. how this sound you can only set traps for 2 tiers below you? so if you at your final promo aka tier 5 you can only set traps for tier 3,4, and 5. how that sound? as a barrier ?
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM,
I believe there is a limit for the really low levels..
05-20-2009, 10:09 PM,
I'm guessing you all failed to note the stat requirements for some of the traps..  a third-tier trap such as flare or the shock trap requires both 75 dex and 75 wisdom.  Most players don't have that till somewhere between level 60 and 90 (about the 4th and 5th promos)  a second tier trap the Greater Fire Trap and the Greater Lightning trap requires Dex: 50 Req Wis: 50, which is again somewhere between level 30 and 60.  The other traps have stat requirements generally equivalent to the level at which such a trap can be used.

Unfortunately 0men is something of a abnormality within the system that isn't set to deal with someone that refuses to level.  As that is a personal choice of his, there are certain un-intentional penalties when it comes to the usability of equipment and items

and yes there are certain areas where you cannot set traps, nor can you set them for people below a certain level if i recall right
Rule #38 When the minions of Evil start calling dibs on your gear, Pray or Run
05-21-2009, 01:00 AM,
for the record, i don't refuse to level, i'm just really scared of the damage my avarice will do :p

this seems broken to me though, i've lost 2 stats today to traps, it's not hard to have a level requirement of 1, with a high stat requirement, coding wise it takes very little difference, I know i'm an anomaly, but when your dealing with forced pvp, any requirement seems unfair beyond the cost of the crowne to buy it.

anyone who can afford those traps, has the stats required to use them.
05-21-2009, 05:01 AM,
I agree with 0men. The level requirements for traps should be dropped, just a stat requirement instead.

Snowbrother, I did see the Dex and Wis requirement, but there is still a level requirement on top of that, meaning there are people who would easily be capable of setting up a trap that can be hit by them, but not set them.
05-24-2009, 06:31 PM,
Even though I'm a rather prodigious level, I'm going to agree firmly with 0men and others here.
Level req on setting traps is pointless and lacks any logic, quite frankly. Stat reqs I can understand (strength to set, dex to be quick enough to set, wis to do it all right, even vit if it takes some energy to set, all those are potentially feasible), but level? Level means absolutely nothing except acting as an unreliable numerical indicator of one's battle prowess (unreliable because champs are free levels, and because many people can decide not to level and that doesn't mean they should be thusly targeted). Simply put, this is about as useless as the combat level reqs for smiths/miners wanting in the guild. It's supposed to be a barrier, and all it really does is ostracize. Anyone with the stats to set up these traps will have the level, no problem, so the idea of calling it a feasible barrier isn't workable.
Solution: Eliminate level requirements from all traps. Period. Even the idea of setting up an "if you can't set it, you can't get hit by it" policy is stupid, because then it penalizes those who level, and we have no reliable way to trap-dodge as we do to PVP-dodge, except for a rare-restock item that only works for half an hour at a time.
I know level reqs get slapped in there without thought, but that doesn't mean they're good or useful or ought to stay.