Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion for the New Magic System
08-23-2008, 11:04 PM,
Re: Discussion for the New Magic System
If a person has tier 5 magic can they access lower tiers such as tier 4 for things such as walls?
08-31-2008, 09:15 AM,
from what i understand, thats how it will work. is it true shuck?

and what do you think of what i said in my reply to your last post?
[Image: storm-hailstorm.gif]
Such a pity you are. Your very presence is an offense to me, so be gone with you!
11-21-2008, 12:51 AM,
Is it even out yet? I cant tell since I cant log in..
All Accounts have been frozen!
12-28-2008, 10:27 AM,
Nope.
[Image: signature.php?view=sir_deadric]
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM,
Can we use magic to PvP or is it for the monsters?

and will the Manna usage in PvP cost more then monster mashing?
All Accounts have been frozen!
12-29-2008, 10:21 AM,
I think the magic in PVP is not made in public yet. so i honestly have no ieda. but being a player who has a fighter class i honestly belive that magic must be part of PVP otherwise the pvp be worthless.
12-31-2008, 06:21 AM,
Actually, by the look of a lot of the posted material, it won't be useful -except in PVP...so no, I'd say you're entirely safe there.
One of the reasons magic is such a pain in the neck is because it necessitates an entire revamp of the PVP system, which right now is automatic and will have to become far more manual unless you set up spell macros (that is, perform x spell under y condition, or perform spells a-b-c-b-c-a in a chain until death, end of battle or MP is too low)...stuff like that. I have no idea how it's going to work, only that it's one heck of a huge undertaking.
As for it costing more MP in PVP? I very very highly doubt it.
04-17-2009, 03:25 PM,
I hate to bring up a topic of the past (like three or four pages back), but in the Lone Wolf description I found this:
"The loners have developed certain skills that have enabled them to survive on in the wilds away from civilization. These skills allow them to avoid ambush and channel some of their mystic energy into healing themselves. The price for these skills and channeling the energy is that they regenerate magic energy more slowly then normal."
I read earlier that they'll have maic capabilities, but from the descriptions will they have better healing magic than a few other classes and/or races?

Also, will every class be able to aquire the magics that were posted earlier? 'Fiery Protection', 'Earthquake', 'Levitation', etc.?
Mrow...One cannot hope to understand the meaning, for the meaning itself is infinite...
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM,
lol, if you actually read through the magic thread, houndz don't actually get magic, they get potions
Signed, me? [Image: shyde.gif] Pokes j00!!
04-19-2009, 12:59 PM,
Mrow...-_- I just thought that was an idea...T.T I likes magic...
Mrow...One cannot hope to understand the meaning, for the meaning itself is infinite...
05-02-2010, 01:32 AM,
VoidRain Wrote:just some thoughts...

first off, some names and descriptions should be changed in the Tree set. i say this because the Tree set has spells that should be in the Stone Magic set.

Tremble ( 7 )     -     Small cracks appear beneath the opponent’s feet. Deals 12 – 18 tree damage.
to
Bush Whacker (7) - A bush sprouts up and smacks the enemy in the face. Deals 12 - 18 tree damage.

Spikes ( 9 )     -     Small stalagmites appear under the opponent. There is a 50% chance the opponent will take 1 – 3 tree damage per round. This effect lasts 10 rounds
to
Spikes ( 9 )     -     Small roots appear under the opponent. There is a 50% chance the opponent will take 1 – 3 tree damage per round. This effect lasts 10 rounds

Earth’s Grip ( 12 )     -     A hand of stone has a 40% chance to grab the opponent and keep them from attacking physically for 1 – 2 rounds
to
Dryad's Grip ( 12 )     -     A hand of wood has a 40% chance to grab the opponent and keep them from attacking physically for 1 – 2 rounds

Tremor Sense ( 17 )     -     Caster has a 10% chance to dodge any attack. This effect lasts until the end of combat
to
Nature's Dance ( 17 )     -     Caster has a 10% chance to dodge any attack. This effect lasts until the end of combat

Stone Rain ( 23 )     -     Small Stones rain from the air, 3 – 7 stones will hit the opponent, each deals 2 – 5 tree magic each
to
Cherry Blossom Blizzard ( 23 )     -     A small flurry of razor sharp petals bombard the enemy, 3 – 7 petals will hit the opponent, each deals 2 – 5 tree magic each

Meteor Shower ( 81 )     -     1- 8 meteors fall from the sky dealing 25 – 32 damage to the opponent each
to
Razor Leaf Flurry ( 81 )     -     1- 8 large razor sharp leaves are thrown from a great tree dealing 25 – 32 damage to the opponent each

Earthquake ( 132 )     -     Both the Caster and Opponent take 168 – 234 tree damage
to
Blind Rage ( 132 )     -     Hundreds of roots spike up from beneath the earth. Both the Caster and Opponent take 168 – 234 tree damage

Acidic Rain ( 93 )     -     Acidic rain falls from above dealing 2 – 31 damage to the opponent per round and healing the caster that much. This effect lasts 10 rounds. (Deals double damage to undead)
to
Acidic Shower ( 93 )     -     Acidic poisons sprays from surrounding flora dealing 2 – 31 damage to the opponent per round. This effect lasts 15 rounds. (Deals double damage to undead)

Nature’s Anguish ( 94 )     -     The opponent has a 50% chance to lose 3 / 0 attack per round until the end of combat
to
Dryad's Punishment (200) - inhaled spores has 50% chance of one to all status effects to effect enemy: poison (losing 34 - 52 hp per round for 6 rounds), sleep (cannot attack and defense reduced by half for three rounds), paralysis (lose 5 / 2 attack per round for 10 rounds), hallucination (opponent attacks enemies and allies alike until end of combat)

Bark Skin ( 6 )     -     Caster gains 0 / 2 defense per 15 levels. This effect lasts for 15 minutes
to
Flower Skin ( 6 )     -     Caster gains 0 / 2 defense per 15 levels. This effect lasts for 15 minutes

Stone Skin ( 42 )     -     Caster gains 0 / 2 defense per 5 levels. This effect lasts for 15 minutes
to
Weed Skin ( 42 )     -     Caster gains 0 / 2 defense per 5 levels. This effect lasts for 15 minutes

Erode ( 102 ) - The opponent has a 50% chance to lose 34 – 52 HP per round. This effect lasts 6 rounds
can be changed to:
Flora's Pet (102) - A parasite attaches to the opponent who then has a 50% chance to lose 34 – 52 HP per round and healing the caster that much. This effect lasts 6 rounds

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread... but
Can the names or will the names change accordingly? Because I do agree that most of wood spells sounds like stone spells.
[Image: signature.php?view=Gladaeff]
05-02-2010, 04:58 AM,
Since Gladaeff has brought this thread back to life, it seems like a good place to discus the new magic system. 

My first comment is on how the spells appear in the battle interface.  It may be simply because this is magics first appearance and the test is simply to see if things blow up, but it still seems a bit chaotic. Additionally, when you want to cast a spell in battle, you're given a list almost three times as long as the rest of the game screen.  This might change when magic starts getting more exclusive, but even then the player will likely have 4 favorite spells they use and ignore the rest.  Choosing 4 spells before hand to give you a list more comprable to item selection would make thinks more aesthetic, but it's more code and we've only seen the rough version so it may be unnecessary.

On the list of magic given by the quest and ability links, it would be nice if a discription of the spell was given along with the alignment, tier, and mp cost.  Again, I understand that this is the first go at this and you probably already have that on your to do list.

As for using the spells the only problem I found was that "Refreshing Splash" isn't working. I just get the message "No file exists for this spell!"

And remember, this is the view of a Hounzalid and thus won't matter much in the future.  I'm just waiting for my bombs.
If I don't know what I'm talking about, I have no idea what I'm saying.
05-03-2010, 03:45 AM,
Quote:Additionally, when you want to cast a spell in battle, you're given a list almost three times as long as the rest of the game screen.  This might change when magic starts getting more exclusive, but even then the player will likely have 4 favorite spells they use and ignore the rest.  Choosing 4 spells before hand to give you a list more comprable to item selection would make thinks more aesthetic, but it's more code and we've only seen the rough version so it may be unnecessary.

I... disagree o_o... I just think there could be way simpler ways to rearrange the list without it taking too much space, really... And many players might want to use way more than 4 spells at any given time... Usually, limiting the amount of spells usable at any time in a game is part of the gameplay restrictions rather than how pretty it all looks... If we were to have such a limit, I feel it should have to do with the gameplay... o_o... With that said, I understand what you mean, but my guess is that there will probably have to be quite a few tweaks to be done here and there to make the whole system fully stable... The way I see it, the looks should be around the bottom of the list... But I'm sure they'll take care of it in time ^^... Just gotta be patient ^_~
[Image: signature.php?view=Greyscar]
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind...
The mark of an immature man is that he will die for a noble cause, while the mark of a mature one is that he will live for that cause...
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM,
So...magic is here. Still being worked on, but it is here.

It's going to be hard to have to choose an actual secondary element, and only sticking with Tier 3 for my primary per my class, but I'm getting off topic. :p

I've got a couple simple questions for now regarding the Wind's Fury spell. All the spells I've used so far are empowered (from some formula or other), and with adjustments you may or may not make some spells might change to be empowered to a lesser degree, to a higher degree or in different ways. Will Wind's Fury "Wind’s Fury ( 51 )     -     Every 75 levels the caster is able to make an extra physical attack (Maximum of 4). This effect lasts only one round" be empowered such as the others? Which brings me to my actual question...this spell says it allows the caster an extra physical attack...would the Ring of Light/Darkness come into effect with those extra physical attacks or not?

I suppose it might depend on how you guys explain the Ring of Light/Darkness activating in combat, but that's about all I have concerning spells right now.

Side note: I checked and currently there is no Tier 5 primary and Tier 4 secondary class. So...adding Cold Treachery and Levitation together currently is impossible.

*Cold Treachery ( 59 )     -     The ground becomes a sheet of ice. Any melee attacks have a 55% chance of missing and a 25% chance (if they miss) for the attacked to hit themselves. This effect lasts 4 rounds. (Does not affect a caster using levitation) <--- Tier 4 Water

Levitation ( 90 )     -     All air spells are 25% more effective and stone spells are 25% less effective. (Note: Non-cumulative) (Note: This spells doesn’t stack with other spells that increase air damage.) <-- Tier 5 Air

The combination would only be doable by a Human magic class that could have a Tier 4 secondary, because a Human class gets Air as primary which is the highest tier any class can achieve, and the Tier 4 secondary would have to be Water.

Figure I might as well post suggestions and whatnot before I forget them. We've got healing spells, damaging spells, spells that stun, spells that restore HP/MP, spells that work over time, and spells that damage the caster and opponent alike. Of course we can look forward to more spells. Some of them if they were empowered the same way as most of these then the results would be probably a lot more beneficial than they should, such as the spells that increase the effectiveness of a certain element.

If Steel Dome was empowered the way regular spells are empowered you could be untouchable for 2-4 turns, but if you made the empowerment something like an extra percentage point per multiplier (as I will call the amount someone's spell power is increased) it would make it more powerful but not to a degree where it's not funny. Other percentage spells could work the same way, the bonus from the multiplier could depend on how the staffers work out the balancing and all.

~ Your friendly neighborhood Pope
[Image: untitled-2.jpg]
05-25-2010, 05:08 PM,
Though the magic system, and battle system overall, are still being worked on, the Ring of Light/Darkness will work with each attack you do in a turn.  If Wind's Fury granted you 4 extra attacks, then it'd trigger 4 extra times.  As the attack is a direct one, not indirect, and that equipment triggers on direct attacks, it will trigger there.